Avocado toast is a fun breakfast, snack, and meal idea. I love a plain avocado toast but I also like to experiment with different toppings. My favorite avocado toast topping is roasted sweet potato and fresh arugula leaves. I love the textures of the assembled avocado toast — crusty bread; soft avocado spread, fresh arugula, and roasted sweet potato.
Avocado toasts have been around since ever but they particularly started showing up everywhere (especially on brunch menus) somewhere in the middle of 2017. And with the growing shift towards plant-based meals, avocado spread and hummus became particularly popular with toasts, wraps, and dips for veggies and crisp.
I have been making Avocado bruschetta since the day I first tasted guacamole! It felt so right to pick it with my cracker, that I knew it had to go on top of some toasty bread as well. And now a simple avocado spread on top of bread sells like hot cakes! So much that Millennials are not able to buy homes because they are buying avocado toasts (I’m sure you have heard of that story!)
The avocado spread is delicious in itself and very easy to make. I simply mash the avocado and season with lemon juice, fresh coriander/ cilantro, paprika, salt, and cumin powder. Cumin is my key ingredient in the avocado spread and also in guacamole. I just love the light sweetness of cumin with avocado.
In this avocado toast, I added roasted sweet potato and arugula leaves topping. I really like roasted sweet potatoes. They pack in a lots of taste and nutrition. And arugula or rocket leaves add a nice peppery balance to the sweet potatoes.
The best part of sweet potatoes is that they only take about 5 mins to roast in the oven. I roasted the potatoes along with the bread in the oven while I made the avocado spread. Which is also the reason why I missed shooting them for the avocado toast video! I hope everyone will understand!
I am a total newbie in recipe videos that I do miss out steps in planning when taking a video. This video is more of how to make the avocado spread for the toast and then how to assemble it all together. Would really appreciate your feedback on the video and tips on how I can improve it.
When I was growing up, avocados were not so common all over India. They mainly grow in South India and only now we see them in markets all over India. I had my first avocado in 2006 when I went to Texas for the first time on work. It was love at first bite. And then there was no stopping :-). I use avocados in almost every way possible:
Here’s my collection of Easy Avocado Recipes
- Avocado Smoothie
- Avocado wraps
- Avocado Bruschetta
- Avocado Pasta Sauce
- Green Salad with Avocado
- Creamy Avocado Salad Dressing
Which bread is best for Avocado toast?
I like plain whole-grain artisanal sourdough bread for Avocado Toast. Because I add more toppings, I slice the bread slightly thick. But as such, any regular bread will work for Avocado Toast. If the bread has too many flavors in it, it might interfere with the flavor of the spread and toppings.
I can have a nice toasty bread slathered with avocado spread any time of the day. Adding some arugula and sweet potatoes on top, makes it into a complete meal good for breakfast, lunch, or even a game night dinner!
If you like this recipe, I would really appreciate if you can rate it below and/or leave your feedback in comments. It will encourage me to keep learning, improving, and sharing.
Avocado Toast with roasted sweet potato
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
for the avocado spread
- 1 avocado
- 2-3 sprigs fresh coriander finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- Salt to taste
for the Sweet potato topping
- 1 small sweet potato
- ½ tbsp Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup fresh arugula leaves a handful
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds optional
for the toast
- 4 bread slices
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
For the Avocado Spread
- Using a sharp knife, cut the avocado top and slice through the avocado lengthwise until you hit the pit all sides.
- Twist open the avocado halves.
- Hit the pit with the knife and take it out. You might need to twist it a little to loosen the pit.
- Scoop out the avocado flesh, discarding any browned parts.
- Mash the flesh with a fork.
- Add finely chopped fresh coriander, cumin powder, paprika powder, and salt to taste.
- Mix well to combine.
For the Avocado toast toppings:
- Switch on the grill of your oven. Or you can even roast the sweet potatoes and the bread in a pan.
- Peel, wash, and chop the sweet potato into small cubes.
- On a baking tray, spread the sweet potatoes, drizzle some olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix and spread.
- Roast the sweet potatoes for 5 mins.
- Remove the tray and turn the potatoes. Add the bread slices with some butter/oil-spread for vegan on the same tray.
- Roast the potatoes ad bread for just about 5 minutes.
To assemble the avocado toast:
- Generously spread the avocado spread on the toasted bread.
- Add some fresh salad leaves. I’ve used arugula (rocket leaves) here but baby spinach will also go well with sweet potatoes.
- Add the roasted sweet potato and sprinkle some sesame seeds.
- Fresh Tomato and basil
- Sautéed mushroom with fresh spinach
- Pomegranate seeds (This one is a delicious surprise!)
Connect with meIf you try this recipe or have more avocado toast recipes to share, I would really love to know. Tag your picture with #weekendkitchen on instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and/or Pinterest. Or join our newest journey into Recipe Videos.
Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.