It was one of those lazy Monday mornings. School had just closed for a break. I spent the weekend sorting out things and just organising the home which usually gets a bit neglected during school. Now it was Monday morning and after Sikander left work, I was a little lost on what to do next. As I made myself a cup of coffee, the two avocados stared back at me from the counter and I called up my neighbour, if she was free for some breakfast and chitter chatter 🙂
And so it happened, quick avocado bruschetta,hot coffee and almost a month of me catching up with ‘what’s happening in Luanda?’.
These avocado bruschettas are super quick, healthy and tasty. Great as breakfast as well as anytime snacking. It’s a lot like guacamole on toast, a bit more chunkier and not as spicy.
By Ashima Goyal Siraj
Preparation time: |Cooking Time: |Serves: 2
1 ripe avocado
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small tomato, finely chopped
1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp cumin powder
Salt to taste
4 wholewheat bread slices
1 tbsp butter (Olive oil for vegan preparation)
- Cut and scoop the flesh of the avocado into a bowl. Add the lime juice and lightly mash with a fork.
- Add the onion, tomato and green chilli. Season with cumin and salt and give it a good mix.
- Cut each bread slice into bite size squares. I also remove the sides and use them to make crumbs for some other recipe.
- Spread a little butter on each and lightly toast them.
- Add dollops of avocado topping on each toast and serve immediately.