Oven baked eggs in individual ramekins is a fun and easy breakfast idea. This baked eggs recipe is a cross between an omelet and baked eggs in oven.
In this case, I’ve used the Indian Masala omelet combination of onion, green chilies, salt, and cumin seeds. In traditional baked eggs in oven recipe, we break the eggs directly into the dish like in this egg casserole recipe and then bake till they are done.
But in this recipe, instead of breaking the eggs in the ramekin directly; I whisk the eggs with onion, chili, salt, and cumin; pour it over lightly toasted bread and then bake in the oven. The result is a soft “eggy” bread center and crispy sides. Almost like eggs in a basket of bread :-).
My take on eggs and toast, baked together in individual ramekins. It is delicious and making individual baked egg ramekins allows the flexibility of doing something like eggs on demand and yet have everyone’s eggs ready at the same time! Perfect for the days when you have lots of people over on breakfast or brunch. Serve it crispy rosemary roasted potatoes and a big jar of delicious blueberry smoothie for a nourishing and delicious breakfast spread.
How to bake eggs in oven?
Ingredients for oven baked eggs
- Eggs: I would suggest one medium egg (~45g) per ramekin.
- Vegetables: In this recipe, I’ve only added onions but baked eggs is a simple recipe that can easily be varied with different flavors. How about trying a tomato-basil omelet as baked eggs, or basic cheese, or maybe spinach and mushroom with some fresh thyme!
- Seasoning: Indian masala omelet seasoning of green chilies, salt, and cumin is used in this recipe. Just like vegetables, choose your own favorite seasoning mix.
- Butter or Olive oil to cook.
- Milk: Just a little bit of milk in the egg mixtures makes for much softer eggs and also takes away the smell of eggs.
What temperature should eggs be baked at in oven?
Baked eggs cook best in a moderate hot oven at 180ºC (350ºF/ gas mark 4).
How long does it take to bake an egg in the oven?
It takes about 10-12 mins for eggs to bake in an oven preheated to 180ºC (350ºF/ gas mark 4)
When you break an egg into the ramekin, it is easy to tell when the eggs are done as the white will set and the yolk will begin to harden. When eggs are whisked before putting in the ramekin, there is no visual test per se but 10-12 mins are enough otherwise they will become very dry.
Tools that you would need for Individual baked eggs
- Mixing jar or bowl
- Egg whisk
- Measuring spoon
- Individual Ramekin dishes
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to rate it and/or leave your thoughts in comments. It will really encourage me to keep exploring, learning and improving.
Oven Baked Eggs with Bread
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
- 4 bread slices (~140g)
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 tbsps milk
- 1 small onions (~50g) finely chopped
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Olive oil preferably cooking spray
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF/ gas mark 4).
- Lightly grease individual ramekins, cups, muffin tray with olive oil cooking spray.
- Break bread slices and line inside the ramekin.
- Toast the bread slices (in the ramekins) for 5 mins in the oven.*
- In a mixing jar or bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, onion, chili, salt, and cumin. Use one egg per ramekin.
- Divide and pour the egg mixture in the center of the lightly toasted bread in all the ramekins.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
- Optional: Sprinkle cheese on top of the ramekins and bake again for 2-3 minutes till the cheese just begins to melt.
- Sprinkle some fresh parsley and serve immediately.
- *It is easier to place all the ramekins on a baking tray and then put in the oven. Makes it easy to remove the ramekins from the oven when they are hot.
- Instead of the Indian masala omelet combination of onion, chili, salt, and cumin here are some more popular flavor combinations for Oven baked eggs:
- Tomato, basil, salt, and freshly ground pepper.
- Mushroom, spinach, salt, and thyme.
- Spring onion, grated cheddar, and oregano
- Bell peppers, onion, salt, and pepper.
- Nutritional Information is approximate value for one serving without the optional cheese topping.
💬 Our first annual Reader’s Survey is open all through January. It will help me evolve the blog the way you would like to see it. I would really appreciate if you could take just a few minutes to answer these few questions 👇
Thank you very much! I hope you downloaded the 2019 Monthly Planner which I designed especially for you guys! I love the quotations that are there on the planner. These quotations have time and again inspired me and reminded me to stay true to my intentions. One of my favorites is this quote by Oscar Wilde:
“Be Yourself. Everyone else is already taken.”
Food Bloggers Groups
I’m posting this recipe as part of a monthly bloggers’ challenge group — A-Z recipe Challenge. It is a fun group where every alternate month, we choose a key ingredient that starts with a specific letter, this month being E!
Connect with me
If you try this recipe or if you have more baked eggs recipes to share, I would really love to know. Tag your picture with #weekendkitchen on instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and/or Pinterest. Or join our newest journey into Recipe Videos.
Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.