This avocado pasta sauce is the creamiest, most delicious, lick-the-plate kind of pasta sauce. And it requires no cooking — just pulse together avocado, garlic, scallions, lime juice and olive oil in a blender until smooth and you are done. Next time when you think pasta sauce, give your regular red or white pasta sauce a miss and think avocado!
This lovely green avocado sauce is absolutely smooth, creamy, garlicky, and lemony deliciousness. And it is just ridiculous how easy and simple it is to make it. Just 5 ingredients and 5 minute from start to finish. I wouldn’t use this sauce just for pasta. I am sure soon I will be adding it to salads or scooping it up with some chips!
The bulk of cooking time for this simple pasta meal goes in making the pasta and not the sauce. I used the gluten-free rice fettuccine pasta, which I bought from Campo de’ Fiori market in Rome. I was very amazed in this food market. What amazed me was not the variety of food but the fact that 90% of the people selling the stuff were from Bangladesh. It didn’t seem like a market in an Italian city.
Since pasta with this creamy avocado sauce is full of the good avocado fat, to add in some more nutrition, I served it with a simple raw vegetable salad. Just a few salad greens, cucumbers, carrots and purple cabbage with lemon, salt and pepper seasoning.
Creamy Avocado pasta sauce with Rice Fettuccine
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
For the avocado sauce
- 2 avocados halved, pitted and scooped
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ cup scallions chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
For the pasta
- ~300 g rice fettuccine pasta or any other pasta of your choice
- Salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Boil 8 cups of water in a deep pan with a little salt and a light drizzle of Olive oil. Add pasta when the water comes to a boil. Cook till al dente. Prepare pasta according to your packet instructions. The rice fettuccine, I used, took about 11 minutes to become al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, combine together all the ingredients for the sauce in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- When the pasta is cooked, add about ½ cup of pasta water to the avocado mixture and blend until smooth. The salty starchy pasta water not only thins the sauce to the right consistency but also helps the sauce to stick to the pasta better.
- Drain the pasta. In the serving platter add pasta, sauce and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Garnish with parsley before serving. Add a simple veggie salad on the side to make a complete meal.
- I like the taste of lime juice best with Avocado but use lemons if you prefer lemons over lime with avocado.
- If using as a dipping sauce, keep the consistency thick by reducing or not adding pasta water at all.
- Leftover sauce will keep well in refrigerator for a day or you can freeze the sauce for longer.
If you already make avocado sauce for pasta, I would love to know your recipe. And if you haven’t yet, you definitely have to try this easiest-ever avocado pasta sauce. I bet, you will be pleasantly surprised!
Send me a picture, leave a comment or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest and Instagram. Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.