Fruit smoothies are the newest addition to our regular breakfast menu. I have found them the best way of including fruits in our diet and sometimes they are like a complete morning meal. Moreover, I enjoy creating a different smoothie everyday depending on what I have. The only equipment really needed is a blender and then it is you, your fruits and all the creativity!
In a breakfast smoothie, I like to use bananas or/and avocados. Both the fruits are powerhouse of nutrition and also high in fat so it’s best to take them in breakfast. Below are some of my favourite and most regular smoothie combinations.
If there are children, fruit smoothies are a great way of ensuring they receive the essential nutrition as “smoothies look so much prettier than actual fruits!” That’s what my niece says :).
Here’s to a smooooth beginning to the day!
Banana – Strawberry Smoothie
- Roughly chop the bananas and strawberries.
- Put them in the blender together with ice cubes (if using). Blend until smooth.
- Add milk and honey. Blend together.
- Serve in tall glasses decorated with strawberries. Accompany with a bowl of fruits to make a complete breakfast meal.
- If you want a thicker consistency, use yoghurt (plain or flavoured such as vanilla or strawberry) instead of milk.
Banana – Walnut Smoothie
400ml cold low-fat coconut yogurt
1/4 cup walnuts
1 tbsp chia seeds
- Roughly chop the bananas in cubes.
- Put in all the ingredients (other than chia seeds) together in the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Put chia seeds at the bottom of serving glasses. Pour in the banana walnut smoothie.
- To make it more exciting for kids, garnish the smoothie with a few chocolate pieces.
This one is very thick and we usually ‘eat’ it with a spoon. A small glassful is enough as an addition to breakfast but a long glassful is a full breakfast in itself. It will keep your tummy happy for at least 3-4 hours!
300ml cold almond milk
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp honey
1 ripe avocado
1 tbsp chia seeds
- The avocado for smoothies should be very ripe. Enough that you can make guacamole with it. Slightly more is also good.
- Scoop out the avocado flesh directly into the mixer.
- Add in all the ingredients (except chia seeds).
- Blend until thick and smooth.
- Pour into glasses and sprinkle chia seeds on top.