In this breakfast egg casserole, eggs and vegetables are sandwiched between bread and then baked. This is one of the easiest breakfast dishes to cook. Just put everything in the casserole and then bake. Especially, the breakfast recipe for days when you have to cook for many people. One pan and you are done!
As the casserole bakes, the cheese melts, the bread on top toasts, the egg whites get cooked, while the yolks remain runny, the veggies retain their bite, and the bread at the bottom becomes soft. Going down in layers, it has melted cheese, crispy bread, runny eggs, chunky veggies, and soft bread — it’s a beautiful medley of textures seasoned with a mix of Italian spices. Pair it with a glass of a blueberry and banana smoothie for a delicious and healthy breakfast combo!
I used to call this simple egg casserole with bread, “hidden eggs” because the first time I had it, I had no clue it had eggs in it. Sikander cooked it on one of the weekends when I just wanted to stay under the covers. I am blessed 🙂 and spoiled! I came out into the kitchen with a grumbling stomach and the aroma of something cooking in the oven. Our conversation went something like:
“What’s for breakfast?”
“Egg casserole with bread and veggies”
When the dish came out of the oven, I was looking for eggs.
“Where are the eggs?”
“They are hidden.”
and as I dished out a big spoonful out from the casserole, the eggs were right in there nicely sandwiched and hidden! That’s why my very kiddish name to the dish 🙂
How to make this easy breakfast egg casserole with bread and vegetables?
Ingredients for easy egg casserole
- Eggs: Of course! Take 2 small eggs per person.
- Vegetables: Peppers, onions, potato… any vegetable that you like with your eggs.
- Seasoning & herbs of your choice. Just salt and pepper would also do.
- Bread of your choice, sliced.
- Cheese: I’ve used cheddar cheese slices here but you can any cheese you prefer.
- Olive oil spray to spray at the bottom and top.
Tools you’ll need to cook egg casserole
- Basic Utensils (Cutting board, knife, spoons etc)
- Casserole dish[This is a set of two beautiful ceramic casserole dishes. The smaller one is perfect for baking breakfast casserole for 2 like this recipe and the bigger one is ideal when you are cooking for upto 10 people.]
- Parchment Paper
How to make easy egg casserole for breakfast?
- Layer: This egg casserole recipe is all about layering. Spread bread pieces at the bottom of the casserole dish, add vegetables, break in eggs evenly, and sprinkle spices.
- Bake for 10 mins at 180ºC (356ºF/ gas mark 4)
- Add another layer of bread and cheese.
- Bake for 10 more minutes.
The breakfast casserole is very versatile too. You can add any and as many vegetables as you like with your eggs and also change the seasoning to your taste. If you like this recipe, please take a moment to rate it and/or leave your thoughts in comments. It will really encourage me to keep exploring, learning and improving.
Breakfast Egg Casserole with Bread & Vegetables
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
- 4 small eggs (at room temperature)
- 4 slices bread of your choice (~140g)
- ½ green bell pepper , sliced
- ½ yellow onion , sliced
- ½ tsp dried oregano and thyme seasoning
- Salt , to taste
- Red chili flakes , to taste
- 1 tbsp Olive oil (use an oil spray if you have)
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- fresh parsley for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 180ºC [356ºF/ gas mark 4/ Medium hot oven].
- Line a casserole dish with parchment paper.
- Break two bread slices and spread at the bottom. Spray some olive oil.
- Loosely spread the onion and bell peppers*. Break the eggs directly on the veggies.
- Sprinkle with salt, chili flakes, oregano, and thyme.
- Bake in the oven for 10 mins.
- Remove and cover the top with another layer of broken bread. Spray some olive oil on top and cover with grated cheese or cheese slice cut into strips.
- Return to oven and bake for another 10 mins.
- Remove, garnish with parsley and serve hot.
For more breakfast egg recipes check out:
- Easy Omellete Recipes : Three different types of Omelette recipes
- Stuffed French Toast
- Mexican Scrambled Eggs
- Middle Eastern Shakshuka
Connect with me
If you try this recipe or if you have more homemade date bar recipes to share, I would really love to know. Tag your picture with #weekendkitchen on instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and/or Pinterest. Or join our newest journey into Recipe Videos.
Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.