Blueberry Banana smoothie is a feel-good breakfast smoothie which nourishes and pumps you with instant energy! I like to slowly sip in its rich thickness with my morning paper but if you are on the run, it easily goes in a bottle for to-go.
Filled with antioxidants and immunity boosters, this healthy blueberry Banana smoothie is just 4 ingredients and 5 minutes from start to finish. You simply combine ripe bananas, fresh or frozen blueberries, milk, and a sweetener. Bananas add a lot of sweetness too but I use a little agave syrup for extra sweetness.
This banana blueberry recipe is with almond milk and no yogurt. You can choose any milk of your preference. The smoothie goes great with regular low-fat milk and all unsweetened vegan milk drinks like almond, hazelnut, soy, oats, quinoa or rice milk. I don’t use yogurt in this recipe as banana itself gives a lot of thickness to the smoothie.
What fruits go with banana in a smoothie
Now I might be biased, but I have to say it is the BEST blueberry smoothie recipe. Blueberries were meant to be with bananas in a smoothie. They perfectly balance each other. Banana actually is a great base for many fruit smoothie recipes. Apart from blueberries, a few suggestions for fruits that go well with banana are:
- Apple Banana Smoothie
- Banana Strawberry Smoothie
- Banana Raspberry Smoothie
- Mango Banana Smoothie
- You can also add some spinach or kale leaves to your banana smoothie to make a healthy green smoothie.
During summer I froze 2 big bags of blueberries and they don’t seem to be lasting for long :-). Blueberry has become my favorite breakfast fruit. It is healthy and delicious and I wouldn’t mind putting blueberries in just about every breakfast plate! If you haven’t already, check out my frozen blueberry syrup for oatmeal and also the vegan blueberry banana bread. After this smoothie, next up I will be making blueberry pancakes in the coming weekend!
Not just the blueberries, banana also freezes very well. You can easily make frozen fruit packs of a single serving of this smoothie and in the morning just pop the frozen fruits into the blender with some vegan milk and agave syrup.
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to rate it and/or leave your feedback in comments. It will really encourage me to keep exploring, learning and improving.
Healthy Blueberry Banana Smoothie
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
- 2 ripe bananas , peeled and cut into chunks
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk , or any milk of your choice
- 1 tbsp agave syrup , optional
- fresh mint leaves , for optional garnish
- In a blender jar, add bananas, blueberries, and half the milk. Pulse to blend the banana and berries. Reserve a few blueberries for garnish.
- Now add the remaining milk and agave syrup. Blend all the ingredients until smooth.
- Pour into serving glasses, top with a few blueberries and fresh mint leaves. Enjoy cold.
- Substitute ½ cup milk with ½ cup yogurt for a thicker consistency.
- Sprinkle some chia seeds for added nutrition.
Connect with me
If you try this recipe, I would really love to know how it went. Tag your picture with #weekendkitchen on instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and/or Pinterest. Or join our newest journey into Recipe Videos.
Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.