While I made these banana muffins to gift to my neighbors, they don’t really need a reason to be baked for. All they need are ripe bananas and an oven 🙂
In India, eggless baking is very common as a lot of vegetarians don’t eat eggs even in cakes and muffins. Sugar-free and eggless, these banana muffins are great for breakfast, snack, dessert, or as gifts. Take a bite and you wouldn’t believe these are sugar-free muffins! This recipe uses honey and the natural sweetness of bananas in place of sugar. For vegan banana muffins, replace the honey with maple syrup or agave and butter with olive oil.
Sometimes Sikander feels I intentionally ripen the bananas so that I have an excuse to bake banana bread or my favorite banana chocolate muffins. Intentional or not, I love baking and especially baking with bananas. I just love the aroma of freshly baked muffins and what better way to welcome a new day than with warm oven-fresh muffins?
Last night when I looked at the 3 bananas lying in my fruit basket with more than their share of brown spots, I knew it was time to bake some muffins. I also wanted to gift a basket of homemade muffins to my neighbors and since they don’t eat eggs, they had to be eggless muffins. Sugar-free was a plus.
Normally I like bread or muffins, slightly warm but these banana muffins taste great even when cold. It is just so easy to pack one with me when I’m going out and munch on it whenever I need that extra energy boost.
Now that the house is full of the freshly baked banana muffins’ aroma; I’m going to wake up my husband and you check out the recipe! If you like this recipe, please take a moment to rate it and/or leave your comments at the end of the blog. It will really encourage me to keep exploring, learning and improving.
Sugar-free eggless banana muffins
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
- 2 tbsps unsalted butter use olive oil for vegan muffins
- 4 tbsps honey use maple syrup for vegan muffins
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Pre-heat oven to 190ºC
- Melt the butter in a pot on stove or in a microwave. Add honey and vanilla. Mix well and keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl; sift together all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Mash the bananas and mix with the butter mixture.
- Add the banana-butter mixture to the flour mix and mix it all together with a fork. Do not over-mix; just enough to mix everything together well. The final mixture will not be as flowing as a cake batter; but more thick and lumpy.
- Put paper cups in muffin moulds and fill them about ⅔rd with the mixture.
- Put in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove on a wire rack to cool.
The original recipe inspiration comes from Nigella Lawson’s How to be a Domestic Goddess.
Apart from these eggless banana muffins, below are more recipe ideas for food as gifts:
Connect with me
Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.