This banana bread subtly infused with warm winter spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom calls for one to take a break and just savour the moment. Hot out of oven, it is, as Fischer said, “indescribable in its evocation of innocence and delight.”
Life went into slow motion as we took one bite of this beautifully spiced bread. My usual fix for overripe bananas is to add them to pancake batter but this time I wanted to try something new. As I am slowly learning and exploring baking, a banana bread was an easy choice. With winters at their peak right now, adding some spices sounded perfect!
The recipe is inspired from Once upon a Chef. Using her basic banana bread recipe as a base, I made my own spice mix and also added roasted walnuts to give the bread an extra crunch.
It just so happened that as I took the bread out of oven, Sikander walked into home from work. The sweet aroma of fresh banana bread brought him straight to the kitchen and we enjoyed a slice (a lot more) right there! I might have to warn about the effects of warm bread as he kind of went into a poetic mood…
A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and thou.
Health benefits of Banana:
Banana is one of the healthiest fruits to start your day with. It provides instant energy naturally, is a mood booster, soothes the stomach and also helps in healthy digestion.
Banana is rich in many nutrients, especially potassium. Potassium helps lower blood pressure, keep the heart healthy, and boost memory.
This winter spiced banana bread is great for breakfast, especially in cold weathers. In addition to healthy banana, spices like cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg help keep the body warm in winters and are also anti-inflammatory. If you like this recipe, please take a moment to rate it and/or leave your comments at the end of the blog. It will really encourage me to keep exploring, learning and improving.
Winter Spiced Banana Bread
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
- ½ cup salted butter softened
- ¾ cup castor sugar
- 3 medium eggs at room temperature
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp all-spice mix I used a mix of nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and green cardamom powder
- 1 cup mashed bananas the more ripe they are, the better it is
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1/3 cup roasted walnuts roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF) and butter a 9”X5” loaf tin.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy (~2 mins)
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, incorporating them well after each addition
- Add flour, baking soda and the spice mix to the butter mixture and combine all well.
- Add mashed bananas, vanilla extract and yogurt. Mix together. Beat on low speed. Gently add in the walnuts.
- Take a minute to enjoy the aroma of this beautiful dough!
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin and bake for about an hour until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
If you have impatient crowd (like mine) at home, then carefully invert the bread on a dish and dig into the goodness of this warm spiced banana bread!
I’ve got to thank Dipika for gifting me this loaf tin which has been put to so much use lately and has my other cake moulds crying in the shelf.
Connect with me
Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.