Lauki soup is a great recipe for weight loss and maintaining a healthy digestive system. This delicious lauki soup recipe is very simple to make — Just cook all the ingredients together in a pressure cooker, and then blend to smooth.
Gourd vegetables, especially Lauki (also known as Dudhi, Bottle gourd and White gourd) is amongst the healthiest vegetable. High fibre and water content makes lauki an ideal vegetable for detox and weight loss diets. In addition this simple lauki soup recipe packs in the health benefits of turmeric which is a great anti-inflammatory food and naturally boosts body’s immunity against common diseases. Turmeric is also a cancer-fighting superfood.
But Lauki is not popular amongst picky eaters specially children. As a kid, the only form in which I ate dudhi was as lauki kofta curry – deep fried grated bottle gourd dumplings. This easy bottle gourd soup is a great way of including lauki in meals, either as a side or the whole meal itself.
Especially during winters, a soup dinner night is very comforting. I have only recently started learning different soup and salad recipes — Indian as well as those inspired by our travels and the local; produce available in the various countries we live in. They are perfect for a light lunch or dinner. Starting with the humble Indian style tomato soup, I have slowly added quite a few simple, and healthy soup recipes to our meals like spinach soup, mushroom soup, red lentil soup, and many more.
Lauki Soup / Bottle Gourd Soup
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
- 1 medium size bottle gourd ~300 gms, peeled and cut into big chunks
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 2 small tomatoes chopped
- 1 inch ginger peeled and crushed
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Once the oil is hot, add all the vegetables, little salt and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Sauté for 2 minutes, add 2 cups water, close the cooker and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. If using a open stock pot, cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes till the bottle gourd is tender.
- Remove the pressure cooker from heat and open the cooker only after all the steam has escaped on its own.
- Transfer the soup to a mixer and blend to smooth. Adjust water according to the desired consistency
- Pour into the pan, through a sieve. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice and bring to a light boil on low flame.
- Transfer to bowls and serve hot.
- In this recipe I strained the soup for a smooth texture; but sometimes I don’t strain to keep it a bit chunky. Not straining also retains all the fibre of the lauki soup.
- You can also substitute lauki with turai or ridged gourd which is also a highly alkaline vegetable and great for both weight loss and detox.
Health Benefits of Lauki for weight loss:
Bottle gourd (Lauki/Dudhi) is low in fat and cholesterol and high in dietary fibre. Eating lauki keeps you full for a long time, helps control appetite and thus results in weight loss. Lauki is 96% water, which makes it very soothing for the stomach and easy to digest. It is highly alkaline and helps reducing acidity in the stomach. It is rich in iron, vitamin C & B complex, has sodium and potassium. It is excellent for detox and low-cal diets and highly effective against constipation and other digestive disorders.
Did you make this healthy lauki soup recipe?
Send me a picture, leave a comment or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest and Instagram. Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.