This wholesome, vegan tomato and celery soup takes just 15-20 minutes to make. It makes for a great evening supper or pair with some toasted bread to make a full meal.
Winter is here and so is the time for warm soups in the evening. I make a variety of soups during the season but tomato soup is probably the most quintessential soup when it comes to an Indian kitchen.
We grew celery as an experiment on the farm and it flourished! I wasn’t cooking with celery a lot before I started growing it myself! 🙂 Then I couldn’t but find more ways of adding it to our meals.
Celery is a superfood with high fibre and low calories. With almost 95% water content it is great for keeping a healthy digestive system and is also a good source of potassium, vitamins, and antioxidants.
I find the taste of celery a bit strong so I prefer pairing it with one another hero ingredient. For example, with cucumber for celery juice and like here with tomato with celery soup.
What’s important is to cook with fresh and seasonal. Tomato and celery not only make a delicious soup but also salad and like a dear friend said, he would rather make them into a bloody mary drink.
Tomato and Celery Soup recipe & variations
This is a simple recipe with a little onion and garlic as aromatics. You can add more vegetables to the soup like carrots, pumpkin, and/or bottle gourd (lauki). I have used water in the recipe but a simple homemade vegetable stock can also be used instead. I don’t prefer store-bought stock as they have very high salt content but if using that, adjust for salt accordingly.
Tomato and Celery Soup
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 4-5 Garlic cloves crushed/minced
- 3 stalks Celery sliced
- 4 Tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups Water or use vegetable stock
- Salt to taste
- Freshly Grounded Black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried thyme optional
- Heat olive oil in a pot; add onion, celery and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes over medium heat till onions are soft.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt. Saute for another 5-8 minutes till tomatoes start to soften.
- Add water (or vegetable stock) to the pot, and bring to a boil. Pressure cook for 2 whistles (or cook partially covered for 15-20 mins)
- Using a hand mixer or a food processor blend the mixture to puree.
- Add black pepper and adjust for salt.
- Empty in deep individual serving bowls.
- Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and/or some dried thyme.
- Serve with toasted bread or some croutons on the side. (optional)
- If using vegetable stock, adjust for salt accordingly.
- The soup can be made up to a day in advance. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and heat before serving.
- You can also add more vegetables to the soup like carrots, leeks, pumpkin, and/or bottle gourd.
What are some of your go-to celery recipes? Do share, I would love to try more ways of cooking with celery. If you try this recipe, do leave me a comment. It will make my day 🙂