Ta da!!! Say hello to my new favourite — CAULIFLOWER BREAD!
If you are looking for a low carb gluten-free bread, you have to try this cauliflower bread. It is such an easy recipe that I don’t know what took me so long to make these. Just grind together cauliflower, mozzarella, eggs, salt and pepper; spread in small portions on a baking tray and bake. And you can make so much with this recipe like cauliflower burger buns, pizza base, and cheesy breadsticks. All starting with this basic cauliflower bread recipe.
They also freeze well and since here we normally have quite large sized cauliflowers, it is perfect. With one big flower, I got like 12 slices. We had 4 for breakfast and froze the rest for later.
Cauliflower is the new wonder vegetable. You can simply roast it for an easy appetiser or make a vegetable fry to serve as main. Grate it to get cauliflower rice which makes a great alternative to regular rice in veg fried rice and can also be used to make idlis.
Did you know: Cauliflower fights cancer
Cauliflower belongs to cruciferous vegetables family. This family of vegetables is not only rich in fibre and anti-oxidants, they have high cancer-fighting properties that come from a compound called glucosinolates. They have been shown to inhibit the development of cancer cells in many organs, protect cells from DNA damage and inactivate carcinogens.
One study found that women who ate the more cruciferous vegetables had a 45 percent lower breast cancer risk than women who ate the least.
I am in love with cauliflower and have been wanting to make the bread since ever. I call this the Mix-Spread-Bake recipe!
On my oven door I have this list of recipes that I need to try and cauliflower bread was the only one remaining since almost a month and now it’s time to make a new list! 🙂 And first on that is to try and make a cauliflower loaf bread using almond meal. I am just waiting for my next trip to the wholesale market to buy a lot of almonds.
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to rate it below and/or leave your thoughts at the end. It really encourages me to keep exploring, learning and improving.
5-ingredients Cauliflower Bread recipe
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
- 1 large cauliflower head cut into florets
- 2 medium eggs
- ½ cup mozzarella
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 220ºC. Line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Steam the cauliflower florets for 5 minutes. Let them air dry.
- To make cauliflower rice, simply grate the steamed florets in a processor. They should be like small couscous. In this recipe, I got almost 4 cups of grated cauliflower rice from 1 large head. *
- Take the cauliflower rice in a tea-towel or cheese cloth and really wring it hard to get as much water out as possible.
- Return to the food processor, add in mozzarella, salt, pepper, and break in the eggs. Whizz on medium speed for about 30 seconds to a minute until well combined.
- Take small portions (almost 2 tbsps) and spread them on the baking sheet like a bread slice. You can also spread them in rounds to make burger buns or in one big round to make pizza base.
- Bake for 10 mins. Flip and bake for another 10 minutes till they are golden. **
- Ready! Serve with eggs or make burgers!
- *If you don’t want to make bread with all the cauliflower rice, use only half and use the other half for recipes like veg fried rice or even savoury pancakes. It will store well in fridge for upto 2 days.
- ** To make the cauliflower bread crisp, you can also pan fry them just before serving with some butter.
- You can add dried herbs like parsley, oregano and/or thyme to the mix for additional flavours.
- Nutritional information is for one slice of cauliflower bread
Connect with me
Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.