Roasted cauliflower vegetable fry is a simple recipe of cauliflower florets cooked in mustard oil and lightly spiced with turmeric, salt, pepper and dry mango. It is great as is for a snack or as a side with parathas.
Cauliflower has suddenly become the wonder vegetable as a gluten-free food to replace flour and grains. I am totally amazed by the various hacks to make cauliflower pizza base, bread, rice, couscous — all from just this one vegetable. I really need to try a cauliflower bread one of the days but till then I love to enjoy this mildly spiced, pan roasted cauliflower.
I love the golden yellow colour that turmeric brings in along with all its healthy benefits. This simple roasted cauliflower vegetable fry recipe is one of my favourites when it comes to making vegetable fry as an accompaniment for a dinner spread. It is very
As a kid, I wasn’t a big fan of cauliflower. How many kids are? I remember making a face every time mom would say it is gobi ki sabzi for dinner! And mom would always make it with potatoes (where I used to try and pick only potatoes) or chop it very small and add it to vegetable pilaf. My love for cauliflower blossomed only after I gave up potatoes for almost 6 months and for the first time cooked cauliflower veg fry without potatoes. There was no looking back after it!
If you like this recipe, it will be a great encouragement if you can rate it below and leave a comment.
Roasted Cauliflower Vegetable Fry
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
- 400 g cauliflower cut into florets
- ½ inch ginger chopped
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 pinch asafoetida/hing (optional)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Sea Salt to taste
- 1 tsp dry mango powder (amchoor)
- 2 sprigs fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Wash the cauliflower florets under running water and soak in hot water with a little salt and turmeric.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. When the oil is hot add hing, cumin seeds, ginger and green chillies. Sauté for a minute.
- Drain the cauliflower and add to pan. Mix well and cook covered for about 5-7 mins.
- When the cauliflower becomes lightly soft, add turmeric and amchoor powder. If you like very spicy, you can also add red chilly powder. Mix well and cook on low for another 5 mins.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot. If serving as a snack, sprinkle some chaat masala as well.
Health benefits of cauliflower
I knew cauliflower with turmeric is a big cancer fighting food but until I entered the ingredients for the nutritional information of the recipe, I didn’t know cauliflower has impressive amounts of Vitamin C. One would attribute vitamin C to juicy fruits like kiwi or orange but seriously cauliflower! And not just Vitamin C, Vitamin K, folate, fibre, beta-carotene, the list is endless. Cauliflower is my new wonder vegetable! 🙂
Cauliflower has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which are further enhanced in this recipe when it is cooked with turmeric.
Connect with me
You have to try this recipe and when you do, tag me with #weekendkitchen on instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and/or Pinterest.
Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.
Leave a Reply