This vegan blueberry banana bread is a great make-ahead breakfast bread. The base of the bread is a mix of rolled oats and whole wheat flour making it super healthy and filling. Enjoy it for breakfast, as a lunch treat, an evening snack, or as dessert!
Unlike a loaf cake or the traditional banana bread, this one is not very sweet. The recipe uses natural sweetness of bananas and a little agave syrup for sweetening. The bread keeps well in the refrigerator for up to a week.
I normally pack a few slices in the lunch box for a little treat in the middle of the day. While the bread tastes great just like that (even cold), if I have time in the morning, I like to lightly toast it, spread a little butter and enjoy it with my tea. And if I am rushing in the morning, I do this in the evening 🙂 And it is great for a healthy dessert too! Pair with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and some agave syrup and dessert is all set.
I use my stash of frozen blueberries and super ripe bananas to make this delicious, healthy blueberry banana bread. Blueberries are absolutely the most versatile berries. You can make breakfast smoothies, pancakes, salads, breads, muffins, cakes, fruit compote to add to your oatmeal, and so many more recipes with them! And they are super healthy too! Did you know, blueberries contain more antioxidants than any other fruit or vegetable?
The frozen berries go straight from the freezer into the bread mix. You needn’t thaw them. Since it is Halloween season, I thought of making the bread like a poke cake by placing a lot of berries on top of the batter. When they cook and release their dark blue juices into the bread, it is almost like squished eyes. If making for a Halloween party, I would suggest using some white cream to make the top blueberries into eyes and it will be the perfectly delicious and scary Halloween Party Food!
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to rate it and/or leave your comments at the end of the blog. It will really encourage me to keep exploring, learning and improving.
Vegan Blueberry Banana Bread with Oats
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
- 1¼ cups old fashioned oats
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 2-3 ripe bananas , mashed (about 1 to 1¼ cups)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 3 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Lightly grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan with oil and then dust with some whole wheat flour.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a big mixing bowl.
- Mash the bananas in a bowl with the back of a fork. Add all the wet ingredients (except blueberries) to the dry mixture. Mix well with a spatula until the flour is incorporated. The batter will be thick and lumpy. This is okay.
- Next, add in the blueberries (reserve a few for adding on top) and mix just once.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin. Place the reserved blueberries on top of the batter.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Because it is made with whole wheat flour and rolled oats, this blueberry banana bread is denser than regular banana breads and doesn't rise as a lot.
- Total servings: 12 slices. Nutritional Information is approximate value for one serving.
Connect with me
If you try this recipe, I would really love to know how it went. Tag your picture with #weekendkitchen on instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and/or Pinterest. Or join our newest journey into Recipe Videos.
Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.