Simple and delicious, this garlic and tomato toast is a perfect weekday lunch or a first course to a summer party. Pan Con Tomate (“Bread with Tomato”) is a traditional recipe from Catalonia, Spain. It consists of just 5 ingredients — bread, garlic, tomato, olive oil, and salt — and requires no cooking except for toasting bread!
While tomatoes are now available year-round, summertime is the season for tomatoes and they are at their juiciest and sweetest best during this time. This simple tomato toast recipe truly celebrates the fresh tomatoes. I came across the recipe while searching for easy tapas recipes. Pan con Tomate looked just so easy that I had to try it. Made it for myself for lunch and I loved it so much that I made it again as a starter when friends were visiting the next day.
The beauty of the recipe is in simplicity.
Toasted bread rubbed with garlic, topped with tomatoes and seasoned with olive oil, salt, and pepper! Just that.
I also threw in some fresh basil from my new kitchen planter and added some fresh green salad on the side for a substantial lunch. Each bite into it was infused with fresh flavors and textures — the toasted bread infused with garlic, the juicy tomato, the fresh basil, and the generous olive oil! All balanced with a pinch of salt.
You will definitely love this simple recipe!
Simple Garlic and Tomato Toast (Spanish Pan Con Tomate)
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
- 1 thick bread slice at least ½” thick
- 1 medium tomato
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground Pepper to taste (optional)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil extra virgin
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves for garnish (optional)
- Cut the medium tomato in half crosswise. Using a hand grater, grate the tomato flesh from the cut side of half the tomato. Discard the skin and keep the purée aside.*
- Slice the remaining half. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and keep aside.
- Smash, peel and cut the garlic clove into half.
- Toast the bread nicely until crisp and brown. Cut into half for easy eating. Rub one half of garlic clove on each piece. Use less if you want less garlicky flavor.
- Spread the tomato purée on top of each slice and then top with tomato slices and cherry tomato halves.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a nice drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Add some torn or whole basil leaves.
- Serve immediately as a starter or pair with some fresh salad greens for a light lunch.
- *Instead of making a purée, you can also rub the toasted bread with the cut side of tomato (just like garlic).
- To make it as a starter, cut the bread into bite sizes so that it is easy to just pick and eat each in a bite.
- You might also like the Italian Pappa al Pomodoro Salad where the toasted bread is soaked in a tomato, garlic, and basil leaves purée and then caramelized and served with tomato salad.
- Nutritional Information is approximate information for 1 serving
Tomato and Basil!
is a match made in heaven! For more Tomato and basil inspiration, check out:
Connect with meIf you try this recipe, I would really love to know. Tag your picture with #weekendkitchen on instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and/or Pinterest. Or join our newest journey into Recipe Videos.
Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.