As soon as I had made the cauliflower bread, I knew that the cauliflower pizza crust wasn’t far away! And rightly so, here comes the low calorie, healthy, and delicious cauliflower pizza base with plenty of vegetarian toppings!
How to make cauliflower pizza crust dough
The cauliflower pizza “dough” is more or less the same as cauliflower bread base, except that I add a few extra dried herbs to the dough. If you don’t add any seasoning to the pizza mix, the cauliflower pizza base will taste like baked cauliflower. Not my favorite taste. Apart from salt and pepper, I added dried oregano and dried basil. You can also add some crushed fresh olives to the base!
Does cauliflower pizza crust get crispy?
Now I have to confess, cauliflower pizza base is not as crusty as a regular pizza base. It is soft but I like its softness. I have seen many recipes claiming for crispiness, but frankly speaking, it does get crisp enough to hold but not as crispy as a regular white flour pizza base.
To make it crisp, I spread the mix, fairly thin — just about half a cm. Otherwise, the pizza base will become soggy. Here are a few process shots to show the step-by-step recipe for making cauliflower pizza base.
For the pizza toppings, I used basil pesto for the base and then added red peppers, red onions, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, and mozzarella. But I love the fact that the pizza base provides a wonderful opportunity to experiment with the toppings. What toppings do you fancy? Would you like a classic margherita pizza on a cauliflower base?
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to rate it and/or leave your comments at the end of the blog. It will really encourage me to keep exploring, learning and improving.
Healthy Cauliflower Pizza crust
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
For the cauliflower pizza crust
- 1 cup cauliflower , cut into florets
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup mozzarella
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil , for spraying
For the vegetarian topping
- 2 tbsp basil pesto
- 1 cup mixed veggies , sliced. I used zucchini, red pepper, red onions and cherry tomatoes
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp mozzarella , grated
- Prepare a baking tray by lining with parchment paper and spray a little oil on top.
- Preheat oven to 220ºC
- Steam the cauliflower florets for 5 minutes in salt water and let them air dry.
- Grate in a food processor and then transfer them to a cheesecloth. Wring it hard to get as much water out as possible.
- Return to the food processor, add mozzarella, break in the egg and add all the pizza base spices.
- Mix together on low speed for just about 30 seconds.
- Spread thinly with your fingers on the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 15 mins.
- Remove and carefully flip. Bake for another 10 mins.
To prepare the vegetarian cauliflower pizza:
- Take out the cauliflower pizza crust from oven. Evenly spread the basil pesto on top.
- Sprinkle zucchini, red peppers, and red onions. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Add the cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, and grated mozzarella.
- Return to oven and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Cut with the pizza cutter and enjoy hot. I also like the cauliflower pizza cold!
How to freeze cauliflower pizza crustThe cauliflower pizza crust freezes well. For freezing, I would suggest you make smaller rounds up to 8 inches in diameter. Place a piece of baking sheet in between the crusts and freeze in a big freezer bag. Nutritional information is for cauliflower pizza crust alone
If you want to explore more cauliflower recipes, check out:
- Cauliflower Bread
- Zesty lemon roasted cauliflower
- Turmeric cauliflower veg fry
You can also add them to vegetable paellas, fried rice and mixed vegetable recipes.
Connect with me
If you try this recipe, I would really love to know how it went. Tag your picture with #weekendkitchen on instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and/or Pinterest.
Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.
I don’t have egg or fish some of your recipes have eggs. Can you give without eggs.
I don’t have any recipe with fish. In this recipe, in place of egg, you can add 2 tbsp chickpea flour or 1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsp water.
Hope that helps,