Serve as a side or top on toast, this cherry tomato salad is a tasty delight on the table. Made with fresh ingredients and lightly seasoned with just salt and pepper, it is delicious and refreshing.
A few weeks ago, I hosted a Farm-to-Table lunch on the farm. We were a small group and we cooked and ate right there on the farm. I put up a temporary outdoor kitchen set up so that we could all stay amidst nature throughout – harvesting, prepping, cooking, and eating.
A Farm-to-Table Lunch Menu
Our menu was 4 different types of winter soups with herbed butter toasts and a cherry tomato salad. Here’s what all we made:
- Basic vegetable stock
- Tomato-Celery Soup
- Root Vegetable Soup
- Cream of Pea Soup
- Spinach Soup
- Green garlic and herbs butter
- Ginger-Lemon tea
Ingredients for Cherry Tomato Salad
This salad is made with cherry tomatoes, spring onions, and basil. We put in some carrot greens too simply because we had dug up a few carrots for the root vegetable soup. The seasoning is a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
You can add cucumber as well if in season and maybe some feta for added texture and saltiness :D.
All of the fresh ingredients were from the farm itself and some we harvested right before cooking. What was surprising for my friends was the fact that I only used salt and black pepper for seasoning. No other spice or condiment. Just marvellous fresh ingredients.
Cherry Tomato Salad
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 spring onions
- 8-10 basil leaves
- 2 tbsp Olive oil EVOO
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder to taste
- Cut the tomatoes into half. Place them in a bowl.
- Slice the spring onions into rings and add to the chopped cherry tomatoes.
- Cut basil leaves into thin strips (Chiffonade) and add to the bowl as well.
- Drizzle olive oil on top.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper. Give everything a good mix.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Let it sit for 10-15 mins before serving.
- Serve as a side salad or as a topping with toast.
- Add cucumber and/or feta cheese.
- Add a dash of balsamic vinegar for seasoning.
Even if you don’t add anything else to the salad, simply season freshly harvested cherry tomatoes with salt and pepper. Let it sit for 15 mins the tomatoes to absorb the seasoning and then just sit down with a bowl of this cherry tomato salad for an easy and delicious evening snack.
Do share your own variations of cherry tomato salad with me here. I would love to learn what more can I do with all the cherry tomatoes growing in my bac