Roasted carrots in oven makes a simple and healthy snack or a side. Fresh, whole carrots are tossed with olive oil, salt, and cumin and then roasted until they are tender but still have a bite to them.
I love snacking on them as is with or without any dip. But these oven roasted carrots are super versatile in their usage. Add them to salads or to buddha bowls, stuff them in tacos or fajitas, or simply serve them as a carrot side dish to any main course. This is a very easy recipe with just 4 ingredients and takes only about 5 minutes of prep and 20 mins of oven roasting.
Should I peel carrots before roasting or not?
If the carrots are organic, fresh and young, I just scrub a bit and rinse them thoroughly. Fresh, young carrots come with their big spray of green tops intact. When buying at the farmers market, make sure to bring home the greens as well.
For this recipe, I cut off the green tops, leaving only a little on the carrots. The fresh carrot greens can be used as herbs or salad greens or make a carrot green pesto. Carrot green pesto goes great with pasta, salad, soups, and also roasted vegetables.
If you are using storage carrots, peel them and then rinse thoroughly.
Spice Combinations for Vegan Roasted Carrots
I haven’t tried glazed or sweet roasted carrots yet, but as a savory side I experiment with different spice combinations. Use olive oil and any of the below spice suggestions to vary the flavors:
- Basic: Salt and pepper is the simplest spices to use for roasted vegetables. However, I tend to bend more towards salt and cumin than salt and pepper. Cumin adds an earthy sweetness which goes very well with roasted vegetables.
- Indian: Add a mix of salt, paprika, turmeric, and/or some garam masala or mild curry powder.
- Middle Eastern: Salt and Za’atar makes a beautifully aromatic mix. Sumac will also be a good addition.
- Italian: Keep it simple with just salt and some dried oregano. After roasting, toss the carrots with some basil pesto.
- Other ideas: Southwest Spice blend or Mexican spice blend.
Easy Oven Roasted Carrots – Vegan
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
- 1 bunch Carrots ~500g, best if you use fresh and young carrots, the ones with greens
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Cumin powder
- Preheat oven to 400ºF /200ºC / Gas Mark 5
- Cut the green tops from the carrots leaving a tiny bit of green on the carrots. Scrub or peel the carrots and then rinse them thoroughly.
- Pat the carrots dry with a kitchen towel and cut them into half lengthwise.
- Place the carrots in a roasting pan or a rimed baking tray and toss them with olive oil, salt, and cumin.
- Lay the carrots in a single layer and roast for 10 mins in the middle rack.
- Remove from oven and turn them over for even cooking. Return to the oven and roast for another 10 mins.
- Remove and serve hot or at room temperature.
- Nutritional Information is the approximate information for 1 of 4 servings.
- Read the blog post for different spice rub combinations to vary the flavors.
Connect with me
If you try this recipe, I would really love to know how it went and what spice combination you used. Tag your picture with #weekendkitchen on instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and/or Pinterest. Or join our newest journey into Recipe Videos.
Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.