I have just returned from a very beautiful 2 day trip to Ahmedabad. I caught up with a friend after a long time. I volunteered at Seva Café on both the evenings and while helping out in food preparations, I also ended up learning some new tips and recipes. During a general conversation with friends, we came up with a name for a new video series – GratiTUBE on Volunteer Weekly, featuring short inspiring videos.
One of the days Mihika made bread dhokla for breakfast. Took her hardly 10 mins to make it and even less for us to finish it. The next day, with the leftover bread, I made bread poha. Bread poha is my mom’s go-to recipe to redress leftover bread. Every time, she would combine it with different vegetables and make an entirely new recipe. Me and my sister used to love bread poha breakfast and would also take any leftover in our tiffin box to school, which would get over even before the assembly bell in the morning.
Zero Wastage:Bread Poha from leftover bread
By Ashima Goyal Siraj
Preparation time: |Cooking time: |Serves: 2
3-4 slices of leftover bread (white/ brown/ multigrain.. any kind!)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 green chilli, chopped (optional)
½ inch ginger, chopped
4-5 curry leaves
½ tsp cumin seeds
A pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp coriander powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp red chilly powder
½ tsp dry mango powder (amchoor)
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Olive oil
- Heat oil in a small but deep non-stick wok.
- When the oil is hot, add asafoetida, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- When the cumin seeds and curry leaves start to sputter add green chilli and ginger. Sauté for a minutes
- Add onion; mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add tomatoes, mix well and cook for another minute.
- Add all the spices, mix well and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile cut the bread slices into small bite size cubes (I cut them into small 1 inch cubes).
- Add the bread cubes to the onion-tomato masala mixture. Mix well so that all bread cubes are coated in the masala. Cook for a minute and remove from heat.
- Serve hot with your favourite breakfast beverage in the morning or as an in-between meal snack!