Part omelet and part tofu scramble, this vegan tofu frittata was born out of a desire to try a new tofu breakfast recipe. We remembered our days of egg-frittata eating and how the one-pan breakfast used to be a great brunch as well. So an eggless frittata was what we zeroed in.
But most recipes for eggless frittata use chickpea flour or gram flour for the base and we wanted to try a savory tofu breakfast. So after looking at a few different options online, we came up with this recipe to try and it was a pleasant surprise!
In this recipe, the batter of the vegan frittata is made of tofu and hummus. There is some chickpea (hummus) in the batter and that is what provides the binding. But since it is not entirely chickpeas, we didn’t get the perfect triangle slices out of the pan. In fact, it was best eaten directly from the pan! This is why I say this tofu frittata was more ‘part omelet, part scramble’ :-).
It makes for a delicious vegan brunch if you are looking for something savory and with so many veggies (think potatoes, peppers, mushrooms, onions, and herbs and/or any others you have handy) it is healthy and hearty. We paired it with warm ginger-lemon tea and a game of upwards for the lazy Sunday morning!
Vegan Tofu Frittata
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
Vegan Frittata Batter
- 100 g Tofu regular
- 3 tbsp Hummus
- Black Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 medium potato chopped
- ½ red bell pepper ~½ cup chopped
- 8 button mushrooms
- 1 small red onion ~½ cup chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 4-5 sprigs Fresh Parsley
- Preheat oven to 380ºF (190ºC/ gas mark 5)
- Prepare the vegetables: Wash and dry all vegetables. Peel* and chop potatoes and pepper into ~1-inch cubes, peel and slice the onions, and halve and slice mushrooms.
- Heat oil in an 8-inch cast-iron pan (or any pan which is both gas and oven proof). Add potatoes and pan-roast until slightly browned. About 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender combine tofu, hummus, salt, pepper, and oregano until smooth.
- To the potatoes, next add the chopped peppers, mushrooms, and onions and/or any other vegetables you want to add. Roast for a couple of minutes.
- Top with the tofu-hummus frittata batter and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes till the top is golden brown.
- Carefully remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh parsley. Let cool a little before digging straight in.
- *Keep the peel on if you are using new potatoes.
- The batter mix is adapted from Minimalist baker.
- Nutritional Information is the approximate information for 1 of 2 servings.
Connect with me
If you try this recipe, I would really love to know. Tag your picture with #weekendkitchen on instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and/or Pinterest. Or join our newest journey into Recipe Videos.
Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.
Looks interesting. Can this be made without an oven
I haven’t made the Tofu Frittata without an oven but I thick it can be cooked on the stove too. After cooking all the vegetables, when you add teh tofu-hummus batter, cover and cook at a low flame till it is all set. You will not get the top browning in stove-top cooking, but the batter should set.
I will very much like to update the recipe with your experience! So do let me know how it goes, if you try making the tofu frittata on stove-top