This is the very basic chocolate cake recipe. Everyone loves chocolate and this is my recipe when I am faced with demands like “I want to have something nice for dessert”. I love the chocolaty aroma it fills the house with. And when it’s in the oven while everyone is having dinner, it’s a temptation worth waiting for as an after-dinner treat! Obviously the quadruple chocolate cake is a delight too but I would keep that special occasions and this for everyday baking like I said, when I get a last minute demand for “something nice”! 🙂
Oh! And how I love the cracked top as you take the cake out of oven! In bakeries, they slice off the top to get an even surface and then cover it with icing. But there’s something that makes me feel so happy when I see those cracks and so I chose a picture that celebrates them well! Apologies if you wanted a different one where the cracks are hidden beneath a layer of chocolate icing! 🙂
The very basic chocolate cake
Preparation: 15 mins| Baking Time: 1 hour| Serves 8-10
2 cups all-purpose flour (maida)
5 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
100 gms softened butter
1 cup castor sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ cup skimmed milk
2 tbsp chocolate chips (optional)
- Pre-heat oven at 160C
- Prepare an 8” baking tin by lining it with greased butter paper
- Dry ingredients: Sieve together flour, baking soda, baking powder and cocoa powder
- Wet ingredients: In another bowl whisk together butter and sugar, till they are well combined. Now add in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla essence. Beat them together. Add milk and again mix it all together
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, little by little and fold it in. You can beat it with a hand whisk or use a cake beater and beat at medium for 2-3 minutes till the batter is well combined. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and mix them in with a hand whisk/ fork.
- Pour the batter in the prepared baking tin and bake at 160C for an hour or until a skewer/ toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Remove on a cake dish/ plate and serve warm!
Leave a Reply