This weekend we are going to Mumbai, to celebrate Rakhi and simply spend time with friends. I find homemade sweets make some of the best gifts. I once gifted homemade kulfi’s to a friend on their anniversary. But that was when they lived 5 minutes from our place. This time the dessert needs to survive the 2-3 hours travel time so I opted for my easy fudge bites.
These little chocolate pistachio fudge bites need no special effort in cooking. They are very soft and very very fudgy (even when eaten directly from the freezer!). And they are excellent as gifts and also travel well. I took this fudge recipe straight out of one of my favourite cookbooks Nigella Express. I love her recipes and her ‘short cuts’ that make cooking so much easier and fun. This chocolate pistachio fudge took me back int me to all the Lonavla trips and the fudge treats.
By Ashima Goyal Siraj
Preparation time: |Cooking time: |Serves: 10 (Makes 50-60 pieces)
2 bars of 160gms dark chocolate, broken into pieces
1 can of Sweetened Condensed milk (~300gms)
2 tbsps of unsalted butter
20-25 pistachios (unsalted)
- Put the chocolate, condensed milk and butter in a heavy-based pan on a low heat, and stir to melt.
- Peel the pistachios and put them in a freezer bag. Bash them with a rolling pin, to break into big and little pieces.
- Add the nuts to the melted chocolate and condensed milk and stir well to mix.
- Pour this mixture into a foil tray, smoothing the top.
- Let the fudge cool, and refrigerate until set. You can then cut it into small pieces and then pack them in small boxes or they can be kept in the freezer – no need to thaw just eat straight away. And they taste “Oh! So lovely”