Scoop up this deliciously thick açaí smoothie bowl for a healthy and hearty breakfast. Made with frozen açaí berry paste and bananas and sprinkled with homemade granola and fresh fruits, these bowls can easily double up as dessert too!
I had açaí berry for the first time back in 2009 when we went to Brazil on vacation. Back then, it wasn’t easy to get vegetarian options in Rio and I mostly relied on their abundance of fruits for my meals and Feijoada sem carne (a.k.a. Rajma chawal!). I remember one glass of açaí smoothie would fill me up for lunch.
Outside of Brazil, it was difficult to find Açaí but now it is not so difficult. Many health and nutrition shops and also juice & smoothie bars keep either açaí powder or frozen berry paste. It is not a very regular ingredient in our home but once in a while, we do treat ourselves to a breakfast of açai smoothie bowl.
It is so creamy and delicious. In this recipe, I also added a tbsp of cacao powder for a little chocolate indulgence but it is totally optional. You can also add protein powder to it or some seeds while blending or in toppings.
If you use frozen bananas then it is just like an ice-cream. Even better if I may say so :-). I just got back from India 2 day ago and I am really fighting a bad jet lag this time. My body is totally confused as I am eating breakfast at noon and lunch at 3 pm and dinner at 11 pm but well when it is a delicious smoothie bowl like this I wouldn’t mind it for any meal! :p
I really hope you give this recipe a try. It is so satisfying and just so so easy to pass over. If you can’t find açaí, you a mix of any of your favorite berries to make the smoothie bowl. If you like this recipe and/or if you have suggestions for additions or changes to it please do let me know. I would love to hear from you.
Açaí Smoothie bowl
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
- 1 cup açaí berry frozen paste (~200g), we get packs of 100 g each
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or another sweetener of choice
- 1 tbsp cacao powder optional
- ¼ cup almond milk or another non-dairy milk
- 1-2 tbsp crunchy granola
- Fresh fruit slices
- 1 tsp chia seed
- 1-2 tsp desiccated coconut
- Add frozen berry paste and banana to a blender and blend on medium speed.
- Add maple syrup and almond milk. Blend again until smooth. Scrape down the sides as required.
- Scoop into 2 serving bowls and top with your favorite toppings or serve with different toppings on the table for each to choose their own!
- Use frozen bananas as well to make a vegan frozen dessert.
- If you don’t have açaí berry, use a mix of frozen berries like blackberry, blueberry, and strawberry.
- Nutrition Information is an approximate measure for 1 serving without toppings.
Connect with meIf you try this recipe, I would really love to know. Tag your picture with #weekendkitchen on instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and/or Pinterest. Or join our newest (but rather slow) journey into Recipe Videos.
Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.
Leave a Reply