When we were kids, friendship day was a big deal. We would make friendship bands and carry them in our pockets to tie on the wrists of friends. At the end of the day, we’ll be sitting in the school canteen counting and admiring each other’s bands. Did you also make friendship bands? But then something happened. We grew up; got busy; had families and Friendship Day was forgotten between Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, daughters day, anniversaries and birthdays. But this time I wanted to go back to school. I wanted to celebrate friendship. So once every week, for the whole of August I baked for friends known and unknown. To reach out to that stranger friend on the street with a platter full of warm cake.
Wouldn’t you agree that apple and cinnamon are the best of friends? So what better way to start Friendship Day celebrations than with this wonderful apple cinnamon cake. This recipe makes a big batch and that was perfect for the purpose.
The original recipe comes from pinch of yum’s Cinnamon Sugar Apple cake recipe, a wonderful blog about food and everything related to it. I have already tried 3 of her recipes in the last one month!
Apple Cinnamon Cake with Cinnamon Sugar frosting
By Ashima Goyal Siraj
Preparation time: |Baking Time: |Serves: 16
1½ cup brown sugar
⅓ cup vegetable oil
1 egg at room temperature
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla essence
2½ cups flour (+ a little more for dusting)
1½ cup peeled and chopped apples
½ cup castor sugar
1½ tsp cinnamon powder
1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 160ºC (~325ºF). Grease and dust a 9”X13” pan.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together brown sugar, oil, egg, buttermilk, baking soda, ½ tsp cinnamon powder and vanilla until frothy. Buttermilk is of a little runny consistency, I used half thick yogurt and half low fat milk to prepare 1 cup.
- Fold in flour to the wet mixture, a third at a time. Follow by mixing in the chopped apples. Don’t throw the peels of the apple. If you can’t use them immediately, simply put them in the freezer and use them later. Here are some recipes with apple peels.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Combine the castor sugar, butter and 1 tsp cinnamon powder to make a crumble topping and sprinkle it evenly over the cake batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Enjoy warm.