This is my best bean burger yet. With an array of herbs and spices and fresh ingredients, it is a delightful change from our regular menu. The burger is simple to prepare and cook and also freezes well.
I have tried many recipes for bean burgers but they have always fallen short until I found this recipe. The addition of bulgar was a surprise for me. It not only binds the burger patty well but also enhances the texture. I gave it an Indian twist with the spices and green chutney-mayo as the sauce.
Bulgur and Bean Vegetarian burger
By Ashima Goyal Siraj
Preparation time: |Cooking time: |Serves: 4
1/2 cup bulgar wheat
200 gms red kidney beans, soaked overnight and boiled
200 gms black eyed beans, soaked overnight and boiled
2 green chillies
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup fresh coriander
2 garlic cloves
1 green capsicum, chopped
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chaat masala
Salt to taste
Red pepper powder to taste
1/2 cup wholewheat flour for dusting
Oil/ butter for shallow frying the burger
2 tbsps green chutney
6 tbsps mayonnaise(use eggless vegan mayo for vegan preparation)
1 salad tomato, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
5-6 lettuce/ salad leaves
- Soak the bulgar wheat in 1 cup hot water for 15 minutes. Cook it on low flame with the water for 10-15 minutes until all the water has been absorbed and the wheat is cooked. Keep aside to cool down.
- I used dried beans which I soaked in water overnight and then boiled in the pressure cooker for 4-5 whistles until they were cooked. You can, instead, use canned beans also.
- Place the cooked beans, green chillies, garlic cloves, onions, capsicum and fresh coriander in a food processor. Finely chop everything together.
- Add the beans and vegetable mixture to the cooked bulgar wheat along with the powdered spices. Mix well and shape into 6-8 burger patties.
- Cover the burger patties with a cling film and chill in refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Coat each burger in flour and dust off extra.
- Heat a flat pan and add oil/ butter. When hot, cook the burgers over medium heat. Flip in between and cook until both sides are cooked well. (about 5-6 minutes each side)
- Mix together 2 tbsp of green chutney and 6-8 tbsp of plain mayo to make a creamy spicy chutney and mayo sauce.
- Cut the burger bun into half and lightly toast them. Place a lettuce leaf and then the burger. Add one slice of tomato and onion and top with generous amount of green chutney and mayo sauce. Close the bun and serve hot with fries.
- Recipe for super fast fries – Peel 6-8 small potatoes and put them in a freezer bag. Beat with a rolling pin to break them into irregular pieces and deep fry. Remove and sprinkle with salt and chaat masala.
Note: This recipe is also featured on my weekly Indian Express column