Simple and delicious, this spicy potato fry is one of my favourite meal accompaniments. The recipe only uses potatoes and basic spices. It is one recipe that I will go-to when I am thinking of an easy dinner for the two of us or when I am looking for a simple side to an elaborate meal when hosting.
The cooking is effortless. Just boil potatoes and sauté with some spices. You can put a tick on this one very quickly and get to the rest of your meal prep. Potatoes are everyone’s favourite and especially when there are kids coming, you are sure of at least one dish that will take care of them!
With certain meal combinations, this simple dry potato vegetable fry is almost a must, like with kadhi-chawal or simple dal fry and rice. It can also be used as a filling to make sandwiches or in bread rolls and samosas. I almost always use the leftover aloo sabzi to make breakfast sandwiches or paratha rolls for next morning.
It is not funny the number of ways potatoes are cooked in India (and actually the world over). In fact did you know, potato was the first food to be grown in space? No wonder they chose potatoes, nobody would complain about a potato fry even when they run out of all other foods 🙂
What is your favourite way of cooking with potatoes? And let me say just potatoes as the hero, no other vegetable or meat with it. If you like this recipe, please do rate it below and/or leave your thoughts after the post. It will really encourage me to continue improving.
Easy potato fry/ dry aloo sabzi
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
- In a pressure cooker, boil potatoes for 3-4 whistles. Remove from heat and let the steam escape on its own before opening the cooker. Alternatively, you can boil the potatoes in a stock pot.
- Drain the potatoes and wash under cold water. Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes.
- In a wok/ kadhai, heat oil. Add asafoetida and cumin seeds. Mix together the rest of the spices in a bowl.
- Once the seeds start to sputter, add the rest of the spices and cook them for 2 minutes.
- Add the boiled potato cubes and toss to coat them well in the spices.
- Cook for a couple of minutes. Since the potatoes are already boiled, it doesn’t take long for them to cook.
- Remove in a dish and garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve hot.
Connect with me
Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.