A hot pan, a dollop of butter, sliced mushrooms, garlic and some scallions. Rice flour and milk for the smooth, creamy texture and a little seasoning help from bay leaf, salt and pepper. Your homestyle cream of mushroom soup is ready — with just 10 ingredients and under 30 minutes of cooking.
Today, I just want to shut myself in. I have a nose that is running like an open tap. Thankfully no infection so I am just nursing it with lots of warm lemon tea. At lunch, I really needed some warm healthy vegetable soup goodness in me. A quick, simple recipe with little preparation, was my goal when I went into the kitchen.
Open freezer and I see a bag of sliced mushrooms in the freezer! Last week my local grocery store had these beautiful portobello mushrooms and while I needed just a handful for my spinach and mushroom stir fry, I bought quite a lot. Back at home I had no clue what to do with so many mushrooms. Freezing seemed like the only viable option. And that is my new go-to kitchen trick to make the best of mushrooms:
Slice and freeze mushrooms, raw
I had no idea how raw frozen mushrooms will work. If they will work or not. But I did not have time to cook mushrooms before freezing that day. So raw they went in. I just sliced them all up, put them in a ziplock bag and straight into the freezer. I did remove the stems. Today (one week later), when I took them out, they were perfect for soup after defrosting.
I wasn’t always a big fan of mushrooms until I discovered garlic and mushrooms. Garlic to me is a constant companion to mushrooms in every recipe, be it a sauté or a simple soup like this one.
I use rice milk and rice flour get the thick creamy texture of mushroom soup; making the recipe gluten-free and also dairy-free. With soy butter instead of regular butter, this recipe can easily be adapted to make vegan cream of mushroom soup.
- 1 tbsp butter (use soy milk butter for a vegan mushroom soup)
- 2 cups mushrooms , sliced. I used portobello mushrooms but you can use other varieties like button or Italian brown mushrooms or a mix.
- 4 cloves of garlic , smashed and chopped
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 1 tbsp brown rice flour
- ½ cup rice milk
- 2 bay leaves
- Sea Salt and black pepper , to taste
- Olive oil and fresh dill
- Heat a deep pan on medium heat. Add a big dollop of butter and let it melt. Add garlic and sauté for a minute.
- If using frozen mushrooms, defrost first and then add to the pot, sprinkle a little sea salt and let the mushrooms sweat for about 10 mins. (Which is nothing but cooking the mushrooms to remove/reduce their sponginess by ‘sweating’ out the moisture).
- Now add the green onions. Mix well and cook for about a couple of minutes.
- Add rice flour and mix it well into the mushroom mixture. Cook for about 2 minutes to cook the flour. Add rice milk, 1 cup water, bayleaves and salt. Cook till there is a boil.
- Let the mushroom soup simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, discard the bay leaf out and using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve into bowls and garnish with some extra virgin olive oil and fresh dill.
- I use rice milk and rice flour get the thick creamy texture of mushroom soup; making the recipe gluten-free and also dairy-free.
- With soy butter instead of regular butter, this recipe can easily be adapted to make vegan cream of mushroom soup.
- One serving of this creamy mushroom soups only 109 calories, half of which come from the butter. Replace it with soy butter or a light butter to further reduce the calories!
Mushrooms: vegetarian or not?
Did you know, in India, a lot of vegetarians do not consider mushrooms to be vegetarian friendly. It has its own fungi kingdom, which is kind of true as well. They really are unique in their characteristics. One of few plant-based sources of Vitamin-D. Super low in calories (1 cup portobello mushroom has 10 calories!), fat-free, cholesterol-free and rich in fibre, vitamins and minerals; it definitely is time to make room for some mushrooms in your diet!
What do you think? Are mushrooms plant based? Did you make this mushroom soup recipe (you totally should!)?
Send me a picture, share your mushroom tips, leave a comment or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest and Instagram. Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.