The combination of a delicious vegetable broth, seasonal vegetables, and pasta make it a complete fulfilling meal. While I love creamy soups as well, I like how in a veg clear soup, each and every ingredient gets to shine on. In this simple pasta soup recipe, the soft pasta and the crunchy vegetables bring an interesting mix of texture and taste in every bite.
Clear vegetable soups are also great for weight loss as you take your time chewing through all the vegetables and the slower you eat, the better it is for your digestion. Also when we eat slowly, chewing every bite as it goes in, we get fuller sooner. This helps in controlling portion sizes to what we really need rather than what we might end up eating if we are just gobbling food down our mouths.
I’ve used regular whole-wheat macaroni pasta in this recipe. You can also use spaghetti or noodles in the soup. For a gluten-free version, use rice or corn or any gluten-free pasta. If you don’t want to add pasta at all to the soup, add more vegetables to make a filling meal like this clear butternut squash soup.
Since the last few weeks, I have been busy migrating this blog from wordpress.com to wordpress.org. Self-hosting really opens up a lot of customization possibilities and I’m just starting to explore them all. I was completely engrossed in porting, creating proper redirects, trying to find a reliable hosting platform, a beautiful food blogging theme, figuring out various options, trying to edit css with little success :). There is still a lot to do but I like the way the blog looks so far.
Ironically all this tech-giri for a food blog has taken me away from actual cooking! Dinner has been simple and lunch, usually, leftovers from previous night’s dinner. In trying to come up with the simplest of dishes, I remembered this easy pasta soup recipe that I used to make during my bachelorette days – easy to cook, and a complete meal in one-pot. Just what you need when you live on your own. Pair it with some bread, if you may, but this one fills me up on its own.
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to rate it and/or leave your feedback in comments. It will really encourage me to keep exploring, learning and improving.
Veg clear soup with Pasta
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
- 1/2 cup macaroni pasta (or any pasta of your choice)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper , julienned
- 1 red onion , julienned
- 1 carrot , cut width-wise into thin discs
- 1 inch ginger , slivered
- 2 cloves garlic , sliced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Salt , to taste
- Pepper to taste
- In a deep pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add pasta, salt, and a little olive oil and cook until al dente. Usually takes about 6-8 minutes.
- In a separate pot, add olive oil and sauté all the vegetables. Add ginger, garlic, carrots, bell pepper, and onion in that order; giving each about a minute before adding another.
- Sauté all vegetables for about 4-5 minutes. We want them to just about start to soften. The crunch adds a nice texture to the soup. Reduce the heat to low.
- Add stock to the vegetables.
- Drain the pasta and add to the vegetables along with ½ cup of water in which the pasta was boiled (The starch in the water which was used to cook pasta helps thicken the soup.)
- Give everything a nice stir and your veg clear soup is ready! Taste and add salt and pepper as required.
- Ladle it into soup bowls and serve hot.
- In this soup recipe, I always add salt in pepper in the end after tasting the soup as both the stock as well as pasta water have salt in them.
For more hearty soup recipes, click on the image below or download my handy Soups and Salads ebook:
Connect with me
If you try this recipe, I would really love to know how it went. Tag your picture with #weekendkitchen on instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and/or Pinterest. Or join our newest journey into Recipe Videos.
Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.