This is the recipe of plain, simple oatmeal without anything other than water (and a pinch of salt) added to it. A warm bowl of oats porridge is always a comforting breakfast for me. Tucked with it in my hands, I feel everything is fine!
One of the grains, I made sure we had plenty of before the lockdown happened was oats. I got both porridge oats and old fashioned rolled oats. My preference of oats for oatmeal is rolled oats. But it is good to have some porridge oats as well as they cook way faster.
I’ve posted many recipes for flavored oatmeal bowls on the blog like chocolate-hazelnut, apple-cinnamon, banana-chocolate, blueberry oatmeal, and also savory masala oatmeal. Behind each of these recipes is 1 cup of old-fashioned rolled oats, 3 cups of water, and a pinch of salt. It creates a blank canvas for your creativity of flavor combinations.
A basic oatmeal can serve as a base for many breakfast options. You can actually create a breakfast bar by cooking a big bowl of plain porridge oats and serve plenty of toppings like fresh fruits, nuts and seeds, syrups, and some sweet spices like cinnamon on the side. Or simple drizzle maple syrup generously and enjoy as is!
Some ideas for healthy and delicious oatmeal toppings:
- Syrups: Maple, agave, and/or date syrup.
- Fresh fruits: Bananas, berries (all kinds, frozen or fresh), apples, and pears.
- Sliced/ Chopped nuts: Almonds, pecans, walnuts, roasted cashews, raisins, sultanas, and dates.
- Seeds: Sunflower, pumpkin, hemp, chia, and flax.
- Nut butters: Almond butter, hazelnut butter, and/or peanut butter (create a chunky monkey flavor with banana, chocolate, and peanut butter!)
- Spices: Cinnamon, cocoa powder, cardamom.
- Super foods: Açaí powder, maca powder, nutritional yeast, cacao nibs, granola, and/or protein powders.
I hope this simple recipe for the oats porridge opens up many breakfast options for you. Currently with the quarantine, we all need a variety in meals and this is a great way of giving everyone what they like without much cooking!
How to make Simple Oatmeal
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
- ½ cup Old fashioned rolled oats
- 1½ cup Water
- 1 pinch salt
- Place oats, water, and salt in a pot. Mix well and put on medium heat. Cook covered till there is a boil. *
- Reduce the heat to low and open the cover a little. Occasionally stir the oatmeal to ensure it doesn’t stick and cooks evenly. Cook until the oats are creamy and most of the water is absorbed. Add more water if required.
- The oatmeal will be thick, with all the oats broken and you will see air bubbles popping out. Remove from heat and empty in a bowl.
- Nutritional Information is the approximate value for 1 of 2 servings.
- *Oatmeal has a tendency to sputter a lot so use a bigger pot than you think will be required to cook the oats. They love to have some room to cook!
- In place of water or along with it, you can also add some nut milk to cook the oats.
- Oats are naturally gluten-free but if anyone in your home has gluten allergies then make sure to buy certified gluten-free oats.
Connect with Me
If you try this recipe, I would really love to know. Leave a comment below, or tag your picture with #weekendkitchen on Instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest. Or join our newest journey into Recipe Videos.
Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.
Leave a Reply