Spinach mushroom stir fry is my most recent go-to recipe for quick and healthy dinner. It has just 7 ingredients and takes hardly 10 mins to cook. I usually pair it with quinoa for a vegan and gluten-free meal. It goes great with rice, pasta and other grains or just on top of a toast.
Mushroom farming is quite popular in the hills in India and while my father loved cooking and eating mushrooms, I wasn’t a big fan of them until…
mushroom and garlic!
And then I discovered
mushroom and garlic and spinach
and there was no looking back 🙂 I love the bitterness of spinach with the creaminess of mushroom and the garlic spike. I was wondering how to describe the texture of the dish. The mushroom is soft but still has a bite; the garlic is all finely minced so you taste it but don’t bite it and the spinach is cooked for just about a minute so it’s not wilted and still has the tender texture of almost raw spinach.
This simple recipe is loaded with healthy nutrients. Mushrooms are the only vegetarian food source of vitamin D, something most of us end up taking supplements for. And they are super rich in Vitamin B2 and B3 again. Spinach is great in everything – iron, folate, vitamin A,C,K and what not! This spinach and mushroom stir fry is a perfect low on calorie and big on iron, vitamins and minerals!
This is a vegan preparation but if you want, grate a little cheese on top of it specially when serving with pasta.
Spinach mushroom stir fry
By Ashima Goyal Siraj
Preparation time: |Cooking Time: |Serves: 2 as main
1 cup white mushrooms, chopped
1 ½ cup fresh spinach, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a flat bottom pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start to sputter, add garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Add chopped mushroom and stir well. Sprinkle salt to prevent the mushrooms from drying and sticking to the pan.
- Stir occasionally and cook till the mushrooms start to sweat. In my earlier days of cooking mushroom, I used to wonder what does sweating a mushroom means? And then I learned it just means to cook the mushroom so as to remove/reduce its sponginess by ‘sweating’ out the moisture.
- Add the chopped spinach, and stir everything together and cook for just a minute, when the spinach just starts to wilt.
- Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot as a side dish or a main with quinoa.