It was a cold winter evening… We were sitting around a heater, warming our hands when hot steaming bowls of roasted carrot soup came out of the kitchen. “It is a new recipe”, mom said. Mmmmm…
Since then, roasted carrot soup is one of my favourite winter recipe. It is a minimal recipe, with few ingredients. The magic of the recipe is in roasted carrots. Roasting enhances the sweetness of carrots. Combined with onions, ginger and garlic; the soup is heaven in a bowl.
Roasted Carrot Soup
By Ashima Goyal Siraj
Preparation time: |Cooking time: |Serves: 2 as main and 6 as appetizer
1 kg carrots, peeled and sliced
2 onions, chopped
1 inch ginger, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 litre vegetable stock
1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder/ paprika
Salt to taste
3 tbsp Olive oil
2 tsp yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. In an oven-proof dish, toss the carrots with red chip powder and a little salt. Drizzle about 1 tbsp oil. Spread evenly and roast for about 20-25 mins till some of the carrots just begin to turn black from the sides. Stir once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. When the oil is hot, add onions, ginger and garlic. Sauté for about 5 mins, till the onions start to turn translucent.
- Add the roasted carrots (direct from the oven), vegetable stock and salt. Cover and bring it to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and let the soup simmer for another 10 mins, till the carrot is tender.
- Remove from heat and puree the mixture until smooth. I simply use my hand blender straight in the pot.
- To serve, add a dollop of yoghurt and a few strands of chives.
This recipe is also published in my Indian Express weekly food column.