I have to admit, I am very lazy when it comes to eating fruits. So often I have given them away. Last week I saw beautiful raw papayas in the supermarket. I bought a small one thinking that I will have enough time to mull over eating it by the time it ripens. But when Sikander got home and he saw the raw papaya, he said “lets make raw papaya salad”. But it was not to happen that day. Yesterday we went for a friend’s daughter birthday party and I saw a huge mango tree right there in her backyard loaded with raw mangoes. I just climbed her boundary and plucked some for me!
So last night my husband treated me to a beautiful medley of flavours in a bowl – the raw papaya-mango salad.
Raw Papaya Salad
By Ashima Goyal Siraj
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Serves: 2 as main; 4 as side
1 small green (raw) papaya
1 small raw mango
1/2 cup roasted peanuts
1/2 cup fresh coriander
for the dressing:
3 tbsps soy sauce
2 tbsp runny honey
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1-2 red chillies
4 tbsp lemon juice
- Peel and julienne raw papaya and raw mango
- Remove the seeds of the tomato and cut into thin strips
- In a large mixing bowl, add julienned papaya, mango and tomato. Toss together
- In a cup, mix together all the ingredients for dressing. Taste to adjust seasoning, adding more honey or chilli or lemon juice. Pour over the veggies and toss well to combine.
- Sprinkle over roasted peanuts and chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve cold and enjoy the flavours!