Vegan Orange Cake
If you love oranges, you will love this simple vegan orange cake as a guilt-free everyday treat. The eggless cake is made with flax eggs, whole-wheat flour, unrefined sugar, and fresh oranges!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time55 mins
Handheld cake beater
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp ground golden flaxseed soaked in 12 tbsp water for 15-20 mins to make flax-eggs
- 1 cup unrefined brown sugar
- ½ cup Canola oil or use any mild-flavored vegetable oil of your preference
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 180ºC [360ºF / gas mark 4]. Grease and dust an 8” round cake pan or a 9” bundt cake pan.
Mix all the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt) in a bowl and keep aside.
In another bowl, beat together all the wet ingredients (sugar, flax-eggs, oil, and vanilla extract). Slowly add and mix in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Add a third of the mixture, beat together until combined and then add another third and so on.
Zest the oranges directly on the cake mixture and then juice them in. It is okay if some pulp also gets into the cake mixture but be careful that no skin goes in. Beat together on medium speed until the batter is smooth.
Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for about 40-50 mins until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and let cool for about 15 mins before taking the cake out from the tin.
- Nutritional Information is the approximate information for 1 of 8 servings.
- Orange goes great with spicy flavors like cinnamon and nutmeg. Add a dash to the cake batter if you like a spicy kick or add pumpkin spice for some fall flavors.
- The Cake will keep well in the refrigerator for upto a week.
Calories: 335kcal | Carbohydrates: 48.7g | Protein: 5.2g | Fat: 15.4g | Fiber: 6.2g | Sugar: 22.7g