Brown rice and Lentil Pilaf
Simple, one-pot brown rice and lentil pilaf with vegetables, recipe for a comforting weekday dinner and an easy leftover lunch! Cook with as many or as little seasonal vegetables for variety.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Soaking Time30 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Knife & Cutting Board
Spoon to mix
- 1 cup brown rice washed and soaked for at least 30 mins
- ½ cup brown lentils washed and soaked for at least 30 mins
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- ½ inch ginger chopped
- 3-4 sprigs spring onion chopped (green and white part separated)
- 1 cup sweet potato cut into cubes
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp black pepper powder optional
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
Heat oil in a deep pot. Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds, green chili, ginger, and garlic. Sauté for a minute.
Add the white of spring onion bulbs and chopped sweet potato. Sprinkle some salt, mix well and sauté for a couple of minutes.
Add the tomatoes, spring onion greens (reserve some for garnish lateand all the remaining spices. Mix and cook for a minute.
Drain the rice and lentils. Add to the pot. Mix and then add 4 cups of water.
Cover and cook for about 15-20 mins on low-medium heat till the water is absorbed and the rice and lentils are soft. Open and check in between after every 5 mins to see that the water is not over and the rice is not sticking. If you feel the water is finishing up and the rice is still uncooked, add a little more.
Remove into bowls, sprinkle some raw spring onion greens and enjoy warm.
- For variations, use different kinds of lentils or even a combination of lentils.
- Vary the vegetables with season and choice.
- Nutritional Information is approximate information for 1 of 4 servings.
Calories: 168kcal | Carbohydrates: 21.9g | Protein: 3.8g | Fat: 7.6g | Fiber: 3.5g | Sugar: 3.3g