Lemon and Ginger Tea | 'Unchai' tea
Start your day with this refreshing honey, lemon and ginger tea. A traditional remedy for winter woes, this common infusion is further enhanced by winter spices like cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon.
Prep Time2 mins
Cook Time8 mins
Total Time10 mins
- 2 cups water
- 1 inch fresh ginger root with the peel
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 3-4 cloves
- ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp honey optional (or another sweetener of choice)
Add water to a pot and place medium heat.
Directly grate the ginger into the water.
Lightly pound the cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves in a mortar-pestle
and add to the water.
Bring to a boil, switch off the heat, cover and let it steep for 3-4 mins.
Squeeze lemon juice into individual cups and add honey. Strain the ginger tea into the cups. Stir and enjoy. Add a few lemon slices to the tea for more intense flavor.
Alternatively, prepare a big batch by adding honey and lemon juice in a larger jar, strain the ginger tea, stir and then serve individually or transfer to a flask for drinking during the day.
- For the best ginger kick, grate it using a regular grater. Slicing the ginger will subdue the flavor.
- You can add some slices of peeled ginger to the tea while serving. Biting on a warm ginger piece is also very comforting during colds, coughs, and also nausea.
- Nutritional info is approximate information for 1 serving of lemon and ginger tea without honey.
Calories: 16kcal | Carbohydrates: 4.2g | Protein: 0.5g | Fat: 0.3g | Fiber: 1.8g | Sugar: 0.4g