Banana & Chocolate Oatmeal (Porridge)
Healthy and hearty this banana and chocolate oatmeal is a delicious breakfast. The goodness of whole grain oats and bananas fills you with healthy energy to start the day and keeps you full for a good part of the morning. Ready in just about 20 minutes, it’s an easy breakfast idea even for rushed mornings!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 banana ripe
- 2 tsp dark cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup optional
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs or use chocolate chips or chocolate shavings
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp goji berries
Bring 3 cups of water to boil in a stockpot.
Mash half the banana with the back of a fork and slice the remaining half. Keep aside.
Once the water comes to boil, add oats and mix well with a wooden spoon. Cover till there is a boil. About 2-3 minutes.
Reduce the heat and continuously stir the porridge for about 6-7 minutes till it becomes thick and creamy.
Add the mashed banana and cocoa powder to the oats. If you find the oatmeal super thick, add just a little more water or any vegan milk to loosen it a little. Mix well until the cocoa powder is well mixed and cook for another minute.
Remove into bowls. Taste and see if you need some maple syrup or not.
Top with the remaining sliced banana. Optionally add cacao nibs, desiccated coconut, and goji berries. Enjoy warm.
- Use slightly ripe bananas for making the oatmeal. Bananas are naturally sweet and you might not need to add any maple syrup or another sweetener.
- Nutritional information is approximate information for 1 serving of the oatmeal without the optional toppings.
Calories: 216kcal | Carbohydrates: 41.7g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 3.4g | Saturated Fat: 0.5g | Fiber: 6.7g | Sugar: 8.1g