Gluten-free Jowar (Sorghum flour) Pancakes
These delicious, savory jowar or sorghum flour pancakes, with a variety of seasonal vegetables, are great for a healthy and quick breakfast idea. They are like vegan omelettes with a flour mix in place of eggs! Sorghum flour is super healthy and gluten-free alternative to wheat.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 2 people (makes 4)
- 1 cup sorghum flour (jowar flour)
- ¼ cup corn meal (makkai)
- ¼ cup rice flour (or wheat flour if gluten is okay)
- ¾ cup mix vegetables, finely chopped (I used a mix of tomato, green onions, and capsicum)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Rock salt to taste
- 6-8 fresh mint leaves , chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
To make the pancake batter, mix together all the pancake ingredients except oil. Make a batter of light consistency (like that of an Indian uttapam or thick pancake) by adding water little by little.
Heat a mini flat pan* on stove. Grease with a little oil.
Once the pan is hot, add one ladleful of batter. Swirl to spread into a thick circle.
Cook for approximately 2 mins on one side. Move your flipper on the side to check if the pancake is cooked from the underside. Flip, sprinkle a little oil from the side.
Cook each side for 2-3 mins until golden. Repeat with the remaining batter. Makes around 4 pancakes.
Serve hot with pickle, ketchup
, or green chutney
- You can also add seeds like cumin seeds, sesame seeds and/or flaxseed to the pancake batter.
- *Using a mini pan helps in spreading the pancake evenly. But you can use any flat pan.
Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 21.5g | Protein: 3.5g | Fat: 7.8g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1.2g