Methi Thepla Recipe for travel snack
Methi thepla is a quintessential Gujarati travel snack. It is a spicy flatbread made with whole wheat flour, gram flour, fresh fenugreek leaves, spices, and yogurt.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
Methi thepla dough ingredients
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (plus some more for dusting)
- ½ cup gram flour
- ¼ cup fresh fenugreek , washed, drained, and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 8-10 stalks of fresh coriander leaves , finely chopped
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp paprika (or Kashmiri red chili powder)
- Salt , to taste
- 2 cups yogurt , to knead the dough
Mix all the dry dough ingredients in a big mixing bowl.
Slowly add in the yogurt little by little and knead into a soft dough with yogurt.*
Heat a flat pan on medium-high flame.
Divide the dough into 6-8 small balls.
Using a little dry flour for dusting, roll out each ball into a flat circle.
When the pan is hot, put the rolled thepla on the pan. While it cooks, roll another one!
Flip the thepla after around a minute. Sprinkle oil on the cooked side and flip again. Press and cook until golden brown spots appear. Sprinkle oil on the other side, flip, press and cook the other side.
Repeat for the remaining dough.
Serve hot with chutney, yogurt, or pickle.
- To keep the theplas stay soft and last long, make sure you add sufficient oil while kneading and also cooking.
- Knead the dough only in yogurt. We use very thick homemade yogurt. You need to use at least 3% fat yogurt.
- You can add extra flavors by adding green chilies, cumin seeds, and/or coriander seeds.
- If you don’t have fresh fenugreek leaves, you can also use Kasoori Methi (dried fenugreek leaves) but since they are much more concentrated in flavor, just add about 1 tbsp dried fenugreek in 1 cup whole wheat flour.
Calories: 156kcal | Carbohydrates: 19.9g | Protein: 7.5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1.2g | Fiber: 3.2g | Sugar: 5.2g