Tomato basil pasta sauce
Easy tomato basil pasta sauce made with fresh ingredients and simple seasoning of salt and pepper. Ready in less than 30 mins, it is without any canned products. Combine with gluten-free pasta for a delicious gluten-free, and vegan meal.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 200 g pasta of your choice , I have used gluten-free shell pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4-5 cloves garlic , crushed
- 2 onions , chopped
- 6 medium tomatoes , puréed
- ½ tsp sugar
- Salt , to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves , roughly torn (keep a few aside for garnish)
In a deep stock pot, bring 8 cups of water to boil. Add pasta along with 1 tsp salt and cook until al dente.
While the pasta is cooking, heat 2 tbsps of Olive oil in a pan. Add crushed garlic and sauté for about a minute. This infuses the oil with fresh garlic flavor.
Next add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes till the onions turn soft.
Add the tomato puree, sugar, salt, and pepper. Mix well and cook for about 8-10 mins.
Drain the cooked pasta. Reserve about 2-3 tbsps of pasta water.
Remove the tomato sauce from heat. Add fresh basil and then purée the sauce using a hand blender in the pan itself.
Add the cooked pasta along with the reserved pasta water to the tomato basil sauce.
Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes.
Remove on serving dish, garnish with fresh basil, and serve hot.
- The flavor of this easy tomato basil sauce is in using fresh ingredients. Try to use fresh tomatoes instead of canned. Same goes with basil, fresh basil has intense aroma and flavor which is lost when dried.
- The tomato basil sauce can be stored in an air-tight container and stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Calories: 275kcal | Carbohydrates: 43.4g | Protein: 7.8g | Fat: 8.6g | Saturated Fat: 1.4g | Fiber: 7.2g | Sugar: 7.5g