Ciorba de loboda | Romanian purple spinach soup recipe
Ciorba de loboda si stevie — This popular Romanian soup is made with deep purple loboda leaves (called purple spinach in English) and sour stevie leaves. With rice and other soup vegetables, it is a delicious, healthy, and hearty meal. The same soup recipe can be made with normal spinach leaves as well.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic ,smashed
- 1 onion ,chopped
- 2 carrots ,scrubbed and chopped
- 1 cup bell peppers ,chopped (use one kind or a mix.. I used half red and half green)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup short grain rice ,washed in multiple changes of water and soaked
- 1 cup loboda leaves ,purple spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup stevie leaves ,chopped*
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley ,chopped
Heat oil in a deep stock pot.
Once the oil is hot, add garlic. Sauté for a minute.
Add onions, carrots and peppers. Mix well and cook for 5 mins.
Drain the soaked rice and add to the soup vegetables. Add salt, pepper and stock. Mix well and cook covered for about 15 mins till the rice is soft and cooked.
Add the loboda and stevie leaves. Cook for another 5 mins.
Add lemon juice. Mix well.
Garnish with fresh parsley and serve hot.
- *Cut out the thick middle vein of stevie leaf. Only use the soft leafy part.
- While it is a popular Romanian soup made during spring when these leaves are in season, the same recipe can be made with normal spinach to make a clear spinach soup.
Calories: 133kcal | Carbohydrates: 16.3g | Protein: 2.8g | Fat: 7.3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Fiber: 3.9g | Sugar: 6.8g | Calcium: 5% | Iron: 10%