Romanian White Bean Soup
Homestyle, traditional Romanian White bean soup with seasonal vegetables and a light seasoning of dill and parsley is a nourishing vegetarian meal. A simple homely recipe that is seldom found in restaurants. Every bowl of this soup is full of proteins, fibre, complex carbs, vitamins, and minerals; wishing you health and happiness!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
- ½ cup dry white beans soaked overnight*
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic smashed, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 inch ginger peeled and chopped
- 1 green chilli chopped (optional)**
- 1 carrot scrubbed and cut into cubes
- 1 onion peel and cut into cubes
- 1 red capsicum cut into cubes
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 lemon ,juice of
- 2-3 stalks fresh dill and parsley for garnish
Drain the soaked beans. In a deep stock pot, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add some salt and drained beans. Bring to a boil. Drain and add 3 more cups of warm water. Again bring to a boil, drain and finally add 3 cups more warm water, some salt and let the beans cook covered until they are tender.
In a separate pot, heat olive oil. Add garlic, ginger and chillies. Sauté for a minute.
Add the chopped vegetables and the stock. Cook covered till the vegetables are soft.
Drain the cooked beans and add them to the pot with vegetables along with tomato puree. Boil together for about 15 minutes.
Mix in the spices and lemon juice. Ladle into bowls and serve hot garnished with some fresh dill and parsley if in season.
- *Preparation time does not include time to soak the beans. Ideally dry beans should be soaked overnight in warm water but try to allow for at least 3-4 hours of soaking. If you are using canned beans, wash them under running water till there are no bubbles.
- **Chilli is totally an Indian addition to the soup. We need to have some heat and it is especially good in winters to add warmth to the body but it is totally an optional ingredient.
Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 28.8g | Protein: 6.6g | Fat: 7.3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 10.5g