Lentil Salad with Roasted Vegetables and Yogurt Sauce
Warm lentils with oven roasted vegetables and a light yoghurt sauce. I love the colours and nutrition the different ingredients bring in — brown lentils, crimson beets, orange carrots, red onions, green parsley and white yogurt salad dressing — it is a delight to see and eat.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 2 as main
- ½ cup horse gram lentils or any other whole lentil of your choice, soaked overnight
- 1 red onion cut into big chunks
- 2 red beetroots cut into big chunks
- 6 carrots peeled, trimmed and cut lengthwise
- 1 cucumber , chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
for the dressing
- ½ cup low-fat yogurt
- 1 clove of garlic , minced
- 1 lime , juice and zest
- ¼ cup fresh parsley , chopped
- 2 tbsp almonds , slivered
Preheat oven to 200ºC.
Drain the soaked lentils and cook them till soft, with 1½ cups of water and a little salt, either in a pressure cooker or in a deep saucepan. Horse gram takes about 30 minutes on medium heat in a saucepan. Once cooked, drain the lentils and add juice of half a lime to the lentils. Keep aside.
While the lentils are cooking, get the vegetables ready for roasting. Toss all the veggies (except cucumbers) in a bowl with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and dried thyme. Roast for about 20-30 minutes in the oven till they are tender. Halfway through, toss the veggies to ensure even roasting.
To make the salad dressing, whisk together yogurt, garlic, lime juice, zest, some salt and chopped parsley in a small bowl.
To serve, first place the lentils in the salad plate, top with the roasted veggies and chopped cucumbers, drop a little yogurt sauce and sprinkle some fresh parsley and slivered almonds. Serve with extra yogurt salad dressing on the side. The salad is best enjoyed warm.
- Use soy yogurt for vegan lentil salad.
- You can add as many or as few vegetables of your choice to this salad. Add to the raw content with some zucchini, red capsicum and/or tomatoes. Roasted sweet potatoes will also go great with the salad.