“Where’s the egg?”
…and as I serve a big spoonful out from the dish onto my plate, I can see the partly cooked, partly runny egg peeping out of the bread top. Soft cheese, crispy bread, runny eggs, chunky veggies and soft bread — this hidden eggs recipe is like an potpourri of textures. Together with a mix of spices, it is a healthy and tasty start of the day.
We are slowly making food traditions in our little home. One that I enjoy most is that ‘the man’ cooks the weekend breakfast. And my man loves to cook but it has to be interesting and new. It can’t be an everyday recipe so every Saturday he would be looking for new inspiration. I see him open the refrigerator and then the spice drawer and then the pantry and then back to the refrigerator. I simply answer questions and enjoy the process. Blessed mornings!
By Ashima Goyal Siraj
Preparation time: |Cooking Time: |Serves: 2
4 eggs (at room temperature)
6 slices of bread
1/2 cup slices green bell peppers and white onions
1/2 tsp oregano and thyme seasoning
salt and black pepper to taste
red chilli flakes to taste (we used 1/2 tsp)
4 tbsp melted butter
2 slices of cheddar cheese
fresh parsley for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 200ºC at the convection setting.
- Line a baking dish with butter paper.
- Break 3 slices of bread to cover the bottom of the dish. Drizzle half of melted butter on the bread.
- Loosely spread the onion and bell peppers. Break the eggs directly on the veggies.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, chilly flakes, oregano and thyme.
- Bake in the oven for 15 mins.
- Remove and cover the top with another player of broken bread. Drizzle the remaining butter on top and cover with grated cheese or cheese slice cut into strips.
- Return to oven and bake for another 10 mins.
- Remove, garnish with parsley and serve hot.