It’s so satisfying when a little effort brings so many and so huge smiles :). When I had just ventured into the world of baking, I had to constantly refer to measurements, but now at least for a plain loaf cake, I have the recipe at the back of my mind. And now I keep experimenting with different kinds of additional flavors in it.
Sometime back when Sikander was leaving for Assam for a week, I decided to bake him a cake to take along. And I saw this bright orange orange in my fridge that I knew I have to add this to the cake, so what followed is a very subtly flavored Orange syrup cake. The recipe is inspired by Nigella’s Lemon syrup loaf cake! What I loved most was how the whole kitchen had the beautiful hint of orange in the air while the cake was baking!
Orange Syrup Loaf Cake
Preparation Time: 10 mins | Baking time: 45 minutes | Makes 10-12 slices
1 cup (175g) plain flour (all-purpose flour or maida)
2 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
(If you are using self-raising flour don’t use the baking powder and salt)
½ cup (175g) castor sugar
½ cup (125g) softened butter
4 tbsp milk
Zest of 1 orange
For the syrup:
Juice of 1 orange
1/3 cup castor sugar
- Take the milk, butter, eggs out of refrigerator earlier so that they are at room temperature when you start.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C
- Butter and line a 9X5 inch Loaf Tin well. I always have the lining a bit taller than the tin, it makes it easier to take the cake out. (I find loaf cake a comfortable shape for breakfast and snack cakes, but a regular 8 inch round tin will also work with the quantities.)
- Using an electric mixer, mix together butter and sugar
- Add eggs one at a time, beating them in well.
- Add orange zest and mix well
- Add flour, baking powder and salt. Fold it gently and thoroughly
- Add the milk, mix well with the beater
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin and bake at 180°C for 45-50 minutes until the cake has risen from the center and a skewer comes out clean.
- When there is just about 10 minutes left for the baking to get over; make the syrup. Take a small saucepan and heat (on low heat) the orange juice and sugar well until the sugar dissolves
- Remove the cake from the oven, prick it all over with a skewer and then drizzle over the orange syrup.
- Leave it to cool in the tin itself.
- Once the cake is cooled, remove from the tin; cut into slices and Enjoy!